My back-to-school toolbox
We’ve been gearing up for weeks and have just one week left before our official first day of homeschool. I have a 1st and 2nd grader this year along with a preschooler and toddler. So in all reality I’ve spent all summer planning, pondering and purchasing what I need to at least try to set us all up for success. Here are some ways we’re forging ahead:
- Menu plans – I am back to trying to do two weeks at a time, with built-in emergency/disaster day meals that are practically ready
- Grocery shopping alone on weekends – this really helps my sanity, running to the store for 3 things with 4 kids isn’t something I do well – and one big trip alone always costs us less than many smaller, unplanned trips
- Writing date nights and girls nights on the calendar weeks in advance – these two things have to be in place for me or the reality of my 12+ hour days alone with the kids puts me over the top (I learned this last year!)
- Housecleaner – with an ever-changing income this comes and goes but we agreed that it would be on the top of the list last September and although it was just a basic, every other week 2-hour clean – it helped stay closer to on top of life and blessed my husband as much as me (he likes clean, but he likes his family more – good thing!)
- A good purging – broken, old, uninteresting toys/books have made their way to the thrift store, some toys are put away for rainy days
- Practice this week at getting up early – our days go better when I’m up before the kids, but it’s really hard for me to do!
- An awesome planner – this year I’m using the Well Planned Day planner and I think its going to work very well
- Continued effort at exercise, even just 20 minutes a day I feel more energy and all my parts seem to work better 🙂
- Grace – it will be what ultimately pulls us through
For any who wonder what we’re using for school this year, I’ll post that later this week. I always love reading what other mom’s are doing in their homeschool!